09 July 2013

-:- gardening, community style





Well, the growing season may have started a bit late in these parts, but our little community garden plot is working hard to make up for lost time.

We're growing edamame, peas, carrots, beets, Brussels sprouts, kale, collards, cucumbers, zucchini, three varieties of peppers, eggplant, tomatillo, and millions of tomatoes. We've started to harvest the kale and collards and we're slowly starting to find baby cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, and eggplant.

I wasn't sure whether our tomatillo would make it, but it's hanging on and starting to produce little babies of its own - so I think this means we're well on our way to homegrown, homemade salsa verde. 

We're having a mild issue with powdery mildew on our zucchini plant - we are one of many infected plots. I've been treating it daily with a milk solution and it's already getting better, but I think I'm going to remove some of the lower leaves that aren't recovering as well.

I'm completely in love with our little plot. I love smelling the tomatoes when I brush against them as I weed. I love watching flowers appear and then disappear as they turn into things we can eat. And I love being there at dusk - through the soft light, all of the different greens really distinguish themselves from one another and you start to appreciate how blue the Brussels are and how yellow the zucchini is.

It's all just so lovely and rewarding. More to come.

xox

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow it looks so lush and green and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many are in the community? Does everyone share all the food or they eat/pick from their own square of land? Lovely photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's our first year and we have 18 plots that are being gardened - one is for the food bank, the rest are gardened by families who eat/pick from their own individual plot. And thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. It looks wonderful, Tess! I wish community gardens would catch on where I live, though it might be harder to do successfully in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Harder...but still possible, yah? I don't know much about desert gardening!

      Delete
  4. Your garden plot looks so neatly organized and it has so much stuff in it! I debated planting edamame this year, but decided not too. I did plant tomatillos because I'm down to my last jar of salsa. But I only planted one this time. Last time I planted two. Too many!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Tess!!! Your garden looks beautiful!!! (gosh, almost makes me want to go out and weed mine!!....note....almost!!!)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments! Thanks for saying hi!