19 October 2012

-:- pinterest weekly - warming ginger drink

Sometimes I pin things on Pinterest that just sound so good to me, without ever going to look at what they're all about. It's part of my addiction. This warming ginger drink is one of those pins.

I'm not sure what I was picturing when I saw it - some kind of delicious, complex, herbal brew that I could drink all day while I work. I also have a hard time keeping my hands warm, so the thought of constantly holding a warm mug was so appealing. So I repinned it and planned to make it very soon.

However, when I looked at the recipe, I realized I already do this.
This thing that sounded so appealing to me is something I make every time I get sick. And it's something I force Mr. to drink whenever he's sick. I felt so silly for pinning it in the first place.

But here's the thing - I only ever make warming ginger drink when someone is has a sore throat or a cold or a stomach ache. And pinning it helped me think about this recipe in a different, everyday sort of way. It's delicious and good for you even if you're not sick!

So this pinterest weekly is less about accomplishing something brand new and more about rethinking existing habits or practices and making them fresh again. It's all good. 

And how about that name? Warming ginger drink.
Warning: I find myself saying it as much as possible. You could almost play a little herbal tea drinking game with this post. That would be so much fun.

-:-

Here's what I do:
Put a pot of water on to boil. (Or a kettle if you're fancier than we are. And by fancy, I mean normal.) Peel and chop a nice chunk of ginger. My mom once told me that the easiest way to peel ginger is with a spoon and she was right! You should try it.


Put the ginger in a container (mug or tea pot - or measuring cup) with some honey. This is buckwheat honey, which is especially therapeutic for sore throats.

The instructions from my pin also instructs you to add lemon to your warming ginger drink - which I think is great - I just didn't have any on hand.


Pour your boiling water over your ingredients and let everything steep for at least 5 minutes.
Since I have been drinking my warming ginger drink throughout the day, I've zapped each new cup in the microwave for a bit to reheat it. And this obviously gets spicier with each cup since the ginger keeps steeping while you nurse your warming ginger drink.


And I never measure anything here. This made about 3 cups. You can also scale everything down and just make one cup at a time. Roughly speaking, I think I add 1-2 tablespoons of ginger for each cup - but don't quote me on that.

Warming ginger drink.

xox


4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, warming, and gingery :). Thanks for sharing the recipe. Whenever I get sick with a sore throat, I make a lemon and honey mixture. No tea for me; I like it sweet and sour and potent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Yah, that lemon and honey mixture gives just about instant relief, doesn't it? I'm with you! :)

      Delete
  2. I just had an ice cream cone from sebastian joe's that was basically this - it was called immaculate confection. Honey and ginger flavored. It sounds like you went for the healthier version :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried that ice cream in Minnehaha Park! My sister ordered it and it was all I could do to not finish her ice cream for her. So stinking good. And I've been wanting to go to Sebastian Joe's pretty much since we moved here. It looks amazing!

      Delete

I LOVE reading your comments! Thanks for saying hi!