13 November 2012

-:- coat rack by mr.

Mr. loves working with his hands - he is big on doing things. I love that about him, especially when he channels that energy into making wonderful things for our home.

Like this new coat rack that he whipped up last weekend.



It has two tiers of hooks, specially designed to hang more coats without too much bulk,
and includes a special, built-in, secret mail nook that only you and I know about.

And it's perfect for those members of this household who carry a general aversion to closets. I'm looking at you, Claude.




It was built with a piece of wood (walnut or black walnut, says Mr.) that the previous homeowners left in our garage. It was hung on our plaster wall with heavy duty screws and some kind of plastic anchor - which was all very encouraging since we have a few other things we'd like to hang in this plaster.

The hooks are pieces of a dowel and the moose (which was previously brown and installed on the side of one of our bookcases) was a wedding gift from my sister. We'd eventually like to get a little bench or something to put underneath it so we'll have someplace to sit when we take off our boots.

But we already love it - finding Lou's leash has been a breeze and our mail isn't cluttering up our surfaces anymore. That husband of mine is pretty wonderful.

xox


P.S. I wasn't really looking at Claude. I was looking at myself. Claude happens to love closets.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! We have a hooks by our back door presumably for coats. However all that ever hangs there are leashes, poop bags, and the towel for wiping wet feet or the drooling dogs face. Tell Mr. he did a fabulous job. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! We too have hooks by the front door, super handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has already made a world of difference! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh man...I LOVE that. My husband longs to be handy...but isn't really. I love him all the same. :) Funny thing though, we just bought a very cool rustic coat rack for our front hall. I need to add a photo of it to the blog (it's owls...my fave. I'm loving that moose though). AND...we are also looking at doing a front hall reno (to get rid of the closet) and do a whole bench thing too. I swear, are we twins? Incredible. :) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to see your new coat rack! I love owls too - another Harry Potter thing, I think. :) And okay, we are looking at doing the EXACT same thing to our front hall - we have a really big closet there and we want to just open the whole thing up to give us more space - so crazy!! We're totally twins. :) xo

      Delete
  4. Have loved seeing all your handiwork on these last few blogs....great way to enjoy the winter, well....the cold autumn preceding winter too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yah - I think part of the reason I like autumn and winter so much is that it feels right to be doing all the things I like to do! :) xox

      Delete

I LOVE reading your comments! Thanks for saying hi!