03 October 2012

-:- yarn along - damson & the happiness project

I’m starting to measure my weeks in yarn along posts – I can’t believe it’s already time for another one with Ginny from Small Things.

I finished Snow Child earlier in the week. I got to a certain point in the story and then could not put it down. That book was with me while I drank my coffee and ate my lunch. It put me to bed (much later than I wanted) and was a faithful weekend companion. I really loved it and highly recommend it.

I've moved on to two other books - The Happiness Project and The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales.


The Happiness Project has been on my reading list for quite some time - it's about a woman who decides to accomplish small, measurable goals for one year to increase her happiness.

The Modern Fairy Tales book is a compilation of stories that have been written by (relatively) modern authors - including Charles Dickens, Kenneth Grahame, Ursula Le Guin, and Oscar Wilde.

And while I expected my next knitting project to be Hat Attempt #2, I decided to begin an easier, more transportable project for an upcoming trip back East. So I dug around my stash a bit and found an old skein of Malabrigo sock yarn that I've had for years - literally.

Then Ysolda's most recent post, debuting a gorgeous new pattern, inspired me to knit a shawl. An autumn shawl made of autumn colors during our first autumn in our new home. Done deal.
Damson it is.


This Malabrigo was a favorite of Lou's and although I could see a few broken strands before I started winding, I didn't think much of it - Mr. is a master yarn felter and I was sure he could reconnect any severed bits for me pretty easily. 

Let me just say - it has taken me days to wind this skein of yarn. There were not just a few broken strands - there were at least 23, with a few half-severed strands thrown in for good measure. It very quickly became a tangled mess with seemingly infinite yarn ends.


Honestly, I don't have a very good reason for persevering - other than being totally stubborn. And now I'm almost done, having gotten through the toughest bits last night.



I can't wait to actually start knitting!

xox


8 comments:

  1. oh no! so many balls of yarn. well i am sure the shawl will be lovely in that yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - and that's after Mr. connected about 6 others! :) And thank you!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see the shawl in the wool, looks great.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will be sure to post pictures when it's all done!

      Delete
  3. Eeep! Good luck! It's so frustrating when you get a skein that results in a dozen little balls! I'm sure it will look beautiful in the end!! Those books look really good, my sister keeps telling me about the happiness project. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All of those little balls have officially been made into one big ball - and now I can start knitting! :)

      Yah, the Happiness Project is really good so far - I will keep you posted!

      Delete
  4. I read the Happiness Project last year. It's such a fun read. I believe she just came out with a new one...Happier at Home. Looking to get my hands on that soon. Where did you learn to knit? I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome - I will add that one to my list!

      I started knitting in earnest about three years ago (or so) - various special people taught me various aspects of knitting (my mom, coworkers, friends) - and youtube has been absolutely invaluable resource for me. If you want to learn, I am sure you can do it with youtube alone!

      Delete

I LOVE reading your comments! Thanks for saying hi!